Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Never Let Fear Hold You Back

For several years in the late 90's, I realized that I was in a dead-end situation. I wanted so desperately to change my environment, move to a city where homes were affordable, meet people similar to me, upwardly mobile, middle class 30-somethings, and leave the NYC metro area. However, fear, doubt, and disappointment became a weight that deadbolted me to working in a dead-end government job in Child Support and residing in a Bronx high-rise co-op.

Finally, in 2001, with the grace of God, with belief in myself, and with support from my family, I found the strength to step out on faith. I had once heard a woman say, "If it is to be, it is up to me." I sat down and wrote a list of pros and cons for staying and leaving, asked what I had to gain and lose, and realized that I had more to lose by fearing taking a chance on the unknown.

Moving out of my comfort zone in NY was the best decision I ever made. Atlanta has offered a wealth of things to do, new friends and contacts, business opportunities, better weather, lots of parties and fun, and a new beginning. It was the best decision I ever made, and this taught me many more life lessons: Never let fear hold you back.

No comments: